Saturday 2 January 2010

The new YCN annual...

After D&AD announced they couldn't afford to give the annuals away this year it seems maybe YCN are a bit strapped of cash too...

They've printed most of the book in this hideous blue tint, with photographs so small you can barely see them. They haven't showcased any student work properly except for tiny little thumbnails which is a real shame. They've used most of the book to showcase their own work, which is fair enough, but seriously I can't tell the difference between last year and this year. And frankly if I see one more bit of 3D sans serif type photographed or doritoes brief I might explode.

For me there has always been quite a large margin between the student work they showcase, some stuff is baad and some stuff is amazing. This year I didn't find that much to inspire me, but then it was hard to get past the blue. The ones I particularly liked are below. I do wonder how some of the work ever gets chosen...

Luckily you can find the student work in full on the website!
Overall, the annual was pretty rubbish this year!















No comments:

Post a Comment