Thursday 29 October 2009

Self promotion

Self promotion has been on my mind for a while but I haven't really done anything about it yet... I didn't really know where to begin or what I wanted to promote. Myself obviously, but I wasn't really sure what I wanted to say about myself.

I found this book at the Whitworth gallery book sale called Marketing your creativity - new approaches for a changing industry by Matt Perry and Ant Melder for £3. Admittedly its a little outdated, it was written when digital was still relatively new and not the norm, but it's an easy read with lots of advice from people in Industry (Mother, Cake etc.) and what it does is kind of simplify the importance, avenues and approaches to self promotion and 'The brand of you'.

Then we had a talk from Graham on Tuesday which was very helpful. I liked how he explained the ideas behind the self promotion and how he uses it. The Via stuff that took inspiration from the buildings, colours and textures around them was really lovely example of how to make self promotion. Attention to detail is also very important - to go the extra mile. Self promotion be a consistent brand the same as any other which represents your personality and style.

I put off doing anything before because I didn't think it was necessary yet and didn't know where to begin - now I'm starting to piece together ideas about what I can use and what I want to say. This summer I have become much more sure about what it is I want to do, and researching the kind of places I might want to work, so feel that i'm ready to start designing 'the brand of me'. I am now brimming with ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment